Avatar

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Thing #1

Whew... I thought I was technologically savvy until I went in circles trying to figure out this blogger! 

Thing #1-
Of the 7 1/2 Habits of Lifelong Learning, the habit that I find easiest is accepting responsibility for my own learning. However, this has only come with age and experience. I am a non-traditional student at Austin Peay State University in Clarksville, Tennessee. I decided to go back to school only two years ago at the age of 24. I went to college right out of high school with no real desire to learn on my own. The independence that a university offered was a little too much for my sheltered mind to accept. After all, in high school, someone usually held our hands through assignments and thoroughly explained assignments several times before they were due. So, needless to say, I was overwhelmed. I had always done very well in high school, so how was I forgetting assignments? I was not accepting personal responsibility for my own learning. Of course, it must have been the professor's fault that I was not completing assignments! It was almost always someone else's fault. Only because I was not accepting personal responsibility. Now, on the opposite end of the spectrum, I am here again at Austin Peay, paying for my own tuition this time around, and accepting responsibility for my own learning. I have always had the desire to learn, but this time around I was (and still am) ready to continue expand my knowledge so that I can teach others one day and hopefully spark in them the desire to learn at an early age.

The habit that is hardest for me is viewing problems as challenges.  I understand that problems can usually be solved, but I typically avoid problems altogether when possible. I know that not many people go out looking for problems, but I prefer for things to work together perfectly all of the time! No, really, I understand that problems help build character and teach lessons, but I find it difficult to be optimistic when it comes to a good problem or challenge.

I chose my blog title only for it's initial purpose. I know I can change it later, so if I choose to use this as my classroom blog, I can always change it later and make my work available to others or even hide it if necessary. 

...On to the next thing! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment